At Simon Family Dental, we are committed to maintaining healthy smiles right from the start. We are proud to offer exceptional pediatric dentistry services to lay the foundation for lifelong oral health. Our kid-friendly team will spare no effort to ensure your child feels comfortable and safe throughout any dental procedure!
When Should You Schedule Your Child's First Dental Appointment?
According to the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (AAPD), you should schedule your little one's first dental visit when the first tooth emerges and no later than their first birthday. From that point on, most children require twice-a-year dental exams and cleanings to maintain healthy smiles.
But why start so young? Caring for your child's baby teeth from the start provides lifelong benefits. Those tiny pearly whites maintain the space needed for the adult teeth to come into the correct position. They also play a role in speech development and help your child chew with ease. If a child loses a tooth too early, the adjacent teeth may shift out of alignment, resulting in crooked teeth, a crowded mouth, and problems with the bite. That usually results in the need for orthodontic treatments down the road.
What Should You Expect During Your Child's Dental Visit?
Our caring dentist will start by reviewing your child's medical history and discussing any concerns. Your little one's visit will include the following:
- Dental Exam: We will evaluate every aspect of your child's oral health. We will take dental x-rays, if necessary, to capture detailed images of specific areas. Pediatric dental exams allow us to identify dental problems early on when easiest to treat.
- Dental Cleaning: We will gently and carefully remove any plaque or tartar buildup and will clean those hard-to-reach areas of your child's mouth. We work with you to develop a dental health care routine to set the stage for long-term oral health.
What Happens Next?
We will discuss your child's oral health with you and create a comprehensive treatment plan to address any immediate needs and preventive procedures needed to help keep your child's smile clean and healthy. That may include the following:
- Dental Fillings and Crowns: If your child has cavities, we may recommend repair using a filling or crown, depending on the extent of the damage.
- Fluoride Treatment: Fluoride, known as "nature's cavity fighter," strengthens your child's tooth enamel, making it resistant to acid attacks, which helps prevent tooth decay and cavities.
- Dental Sealants: Sealants are clear, protective coatings we place on the chewing surfaces of your child's premolars and molars to seal off any pits, grooves, or crevices, which helps keep tooth decay and cavities at bay.
Healthy Habits for Long-Term Healthy Smiles
Encourage your child to brush and floss regularly to keep tooth decay and cavities at bay. Keep in mind that consuming a healthy, balanced diet will provide your child's growing teeth with the nutrition they need to stay strong and healthy. Establishing a proper oral hygiene routine from a young age will set the stage for lifelong oral health.
Pediatric Dentistry Services Near Me in Tyler, TX
Contact Simon Family Dental to learn more about maintaining your child's healthy smile. Our outstanding team is here to support your little one's oral health every step of the way. We invite you to call our office at 903-467-3786 to schedule your appointment or request one online today!